1. Sub Sandwich – best if stuffed with turkey or lean roast beef and tons of lettuce, pickles, tomatoes and onion. No mayo- use mustard!
2. Hummus – has protein and fiber. Eat this instead of re fried bean and cheese dip.
3. Fresh Vegetables – hold the ranch dressing. Fill up on these!
4. Guacamole – Avocados are highly nutritious and are a source of “healthy” monounsaturated fat. Avoid dips made with mayo and/or lots of sour cream.
5. Chili – Try this recipe from Beachbody.com:
- 1 lb. ground turkey, extra lean
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large can (28 oz.) tomatoes, crushed or diced
- 1 can (12 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 tsp. chili powder (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp. lemon juice (Kim’s trick☺)
In a large saucepan, brown ground turkey in olive oil. Spoon out any excess fat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper, and sauté until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Can be served immediately (although leftovers are great, too). Serve with hot sauce to taste. Serves 4.
Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes